At 11:13 PM -0800 1/22/05, Jeff wrote:
I'm making something that requires XML. (ooh, secretness)
It would also be nice to use SQLite with it, but I am confused about
how much things I need to put into the database and how much that
needs to stay on the file system.
You probably didn't understand that. My describing skills suck.
Here is the question: Should I store XML files in a database, or
should I just put it on the file system. Which would be faster?

I would say that it depends on their quantity or use. If you are having thousands of little XML files, then store all of them in a SQLite database, each one in a SQLite record, where the XML is all in a large text field, and other fields in the row contain a few details you would look it up by. If you have just a few large XML files, then store them in the file system. A database is also useful if you want to look up your XML document by multiple criteria rather than just by one. -- Darren Duncan