Steve,

Well, you forced me to download v3.1 (;-). I confirmed your
results in the SQLite shell; I think it's a bug. Also, there
are some typos in the docs: the section on short_column-names
is labeled full_column_names, and there are words missing
from both sections. I think probably someone should write a
bug ticket.

sqlite> pragma short_column_names = 0 ;
sqlite> pragma full_column_names = 0 ;
sqlite> SELECT A.*, B.* FROM A, B WHERE A.a_col = B.a_col ;
a_col       b_col       a_col
----------  ----------  ----------
a3          b1          a3
sqlite> pragma full_column_names = 1 ;
sqlite> SELECT A.*, B.* FROM A, B WHERE A.a_col = B.a_col ;
a_col       b_col       a_col
----------  ----------  ----------
a3          b1          a3
sqlite> pragma short_column_names = 1 ;
sqlite> pragma full_column_names = 0 ;
sqlite> SELECT A.*, B.* FROM A, B WHERE A.a_col = B.a_col ;
a_col       b_col       a_col
a3          b1          a3
sqlite> pragma full_column_names = 1 ;
sqlite> SELECT A.*, B.* FROM A, B WHERE A.a_col = B.a_col ;
a_col       b_col       a_col
a3          b1          a3

Regards