On Monday 31 January 2005 7:58 am, Downey, Shawn wrote:

> "If anyone can see the source code, then won't we be venerable to
> hackers?"

Here is a very useful paragraph that should be given to anyone who thinks in
the above terms:

"A common question in the minds of some CEOs and CIOs is, 'If it is open,
how can it be secure?' " The very question displays a fundamental
misunderstanding of security. The correct notion was known and set down
by Auguste Kerckhoffs in the 19th century. David Kahn's classic book,
_The Codebreakers_, puts it succinctly for codes and ciphers: "security
must reside solely in the keys." You must assume that the enemy knows the
algorithm--"security by obscurity" is a delusion and a sham. Indeed,
proprietary software is a far more likely haven for back doors and
Trojans, because it is kept secret.

Regarding the issue of SQL Server vs. SQLite:
If the choice were between SQL Server and SQLite, and the need came up that
SQLite could not meet, I'd pitch for PostgreSQL (_not_ MySQL).  PostgreSQL
version 8.0 has been released and runs natively on Windows.

Cordially,
Scott