can a similar argument be made for assembler?

Regards,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NCCI
Boca Raton, Florida
561.893.2415
greetings / avec mes meilleures salutations / Cordialmente
mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vänlig hälsning

                      Darren Duncan
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:
sqlite-users@sqlite.org
                      can.net>                 cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [sqlite] Thanks!
                      03/03/2005 02:06
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      sqlite-users

At 7:27 AM -0800 3/3/05, Jay wrote:
>I believe writing C or C++ code is harder than writing interpreted
>code. My aim has always been to produce the best product I could,
>not to produce it with as little effort as possible. I hope the
>extra effort was worth it. I guess time will tell if I chose
>correctly.

One caveat of languages like C and C++ is that you are opening
yourself to several classes of potential security problems that
interpreted languages tend not to have.  You have to deal with things
like buffer overflow attacks, one of the more common kind, that can
come from you not crossing every "t" and dotting every "i" with your
memory management.  Interpreted languages take care of these sorts of
things for you, so they are orders of magnitude more secure by
default.  You have to put in a lot of effort with C and C++ to be
just as secure.  (Sure, the interpreter engines themselves could have
such problems, but they are exceedingly rare due to their common code
being heavily used and examined by a relatively large group.)  The
main advantages of C is that you can get the smallest possible
footprint and greatest possible speed; it is best applied to what
would be bottlenecks. -- Darren Duncan