Steven,

I believe the simplest way to do this is to write a simple memory
manager yourself, as a layer between the system memory manager and the
sqlite stuff. This memory manager's function in life is to keep track
of all allocations and deallocations, and to free all allocated memory
just before you exit.

You replace all the calls to 'malloc', 'calloc' and 'free', and 'exit'
in the misbehaving application with calls to your own memory manager.

It's a little bit of a pain to write, but it should fix this type of
issue. It beats trying to find memory leaks in 61K lines of code.

Gé