On Apr 9, 2005 12:43 AM, Andy Lutomirski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Al Danial wrote:
> > The attached C program measures insert performance for populating
> > a table with an integer and three random floating point values with
> > user defined transaction size.  Usage is:
> >
> >     ./sqlite_insert  <number of rows>   <transaction size>
>
> All of these are on Gentoo, Athlon 64 3200+, running 64 bit.
>
> Writing to /tmp, which is ext3 (acl,user_xattr,usrquota) over RAID0 (two
> slave drives on different channels):
>
> $ ./sqlitetest 100000 50000
>   100000 inserts to /tmp/a.db in 0.531 s = 188446.34 inserts/s
> $ ./sqlitetest 2000000 50000
>   2000000 inserts to /tmp/a.db in 11.546 s = 173223.61 inserts/s

That's impressive.  Clearly a well-implemented RAID0 configuration
and fast disks make a huge difference.  This will be the direction I'll
take.

Thanks to everyone who posted performance numbers and machine
setup info.  Some results were counterintuitive (I'd have guessed
SCSI drives would come out on top) but many variables are at work
so I won't try to draw too many conclusions.
Also thanks to the suggestions to study the pragma's.  I did try
SYNCHRONOUS=off but that didn't seem to have an effect; I'll
study the docs to make sure I've got it right.             -- Al