Having used other databases extensively, and discovering that SQLITE does not have a native DATETIME data structure, I have elected to store the Date/Time value from the operating system (which is either a 32-bit or 64-bit value) directly into an INT field and then translate it into a string on retrieval.

I did some performance tests, and it seemed that converting a date/time string into the 32-bit or 64-bit value in my code and comparing integer values in a query were orders of magnitude faster than using the SQLITE functions for date/time comparisons on the fly. They are fine for formatting the data for display, but where I need to manipulate the data I still retrieve the 'raw' integer value and convert it as I require.

-ken