--- Darren Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 6:20 PM -0700 4/27/05, Clark Christensen wrote:
> >Being new to compilers, I have a question about building
> >DBD-SQLite (for Perl).  If I want to update the
> underlying
> >SQLite code in DBD-SQLite to the current release,
> (v3.2.1),
> >i sit simply a matter of putting the current SQLite
> sources
> >into the DBD-SQLite-1.07 dir and rebuilding?  Or is it
> more
> >complicated?  Anybody else have
> >experience with this?
>
> I do, and the solution's way simpler than that.
>
> Just execute the getsqlite.pl script that's included with
> the
> DBD::SQLite distro after you decompress the archive and
> before you do
> the 'perl Makefile.PL'.  Eg:
>
>    perl getsqlite.pl
>    perl Makefile.PL
>    make
>    make test
>    make install
>
> The catch is that you need to have the CPAN module
> LWP::Simple
> installed with your Perl first, as the getsqlite.pl
> script depends on
> it to implement an HTTP client by which it fetches the
> most recent
> code.  This module does not come with Perl by default,
> but it is easy
> to download from CPAN and install yourself.
>
> -- Darren Duncan

I have LWP installed on both my Windows target, and my
Linux target.

For what it's worth, it looks like getsqlite.pl hasn't been
updated in quite some time.  It gets the package just fine,
but it extracts the archive using the archive's embedded
dirnames, then changes directory to 'sqlite', at which
point, the rest of the script fails.

OK, easy enough to fix, and when I did, I got a LOT of
'lemon' errors on Linux when I ran make (didn't try it on
Windows).

After several attempts on Linux, I found that extracting
the SQLite 3.2.1 'pure C source' (Zip) file, and copying
the contents (minus tclsqlite.c, and shell.c) into the
DBD-SQLite-1.08 dir gave the best results (only warnings,
no errors, and a usable binary that passes all of the 'make
test' tests).  Seems like there are probably some tests
missing (alter table add column), but those seem to work OK
from within my own Perl program.

 -Clark