* D. Richard Hipp:

> This would be a problem for any citizen of Germany or Austria
> that wanted to contribute code to the SQLite project.  I cannot
> see that this would ever be a problem for an SQLite users.

Yes, of course.

> Can citizens of Germany and Austria assign their copyright interest
> to third parties?

The exploitation rights can be transferred.  These rights are the
important rights as far as software is concerned, but an author cannot
disclaim or transfer the non-commercial rights (being named as the
author, possiblity to prevent distortion and misrepresentation, and so
on).

> If so, then if you want to contribute code to SQLite, just assign
> the copyright to me and I will then dedicate the code to the public
> domain, which I can do since I am not a citizen of Austria or
> Germany.

The contributor can still exercise his or her right to be named as an
author, for example, so the result wouldn't be truly public domain.