On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 08:40 -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
> Looks like Firefox is gearing up to store some of its information in
> SQLite? Does anyone know anything more about this?
>
> http://gemal.dk/blog/2005/07/06/mozilla_firefox_bookmarks_in_for_a_rewrite/

I've been hearing of this for some time but I know no details.

The copy of Firefox I use (version 1.0 that comes with
SuSE 9.2) stores all its configuration information and
cache in a bunch of files under ~/.mozilla/firefox.
If I try to launch two versions of firefox as the same user
but on separate displays (for example one on the console and
another on a remove X terminal or on an Xvnc server) the
second one has problems because the two instances cannot
share configuration files without risking collisions.  And
if I power-off without a clean shutdown, lock files persist
which I have to clean up manually.

Moving configuration information into an SQLite database
will resolve these issues, I hope.  Because SQLite transactions
are isolated, multiple instances of Firefox will be able to
share the same configuration.  And because SQLite transactions
are atomic, a power-off in the middle of a transaction will
cause the transaction to roll back automatically.

I *hope* that is what the SQLite integration with firefox
will accomplish.  But again, I don't really know.
--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>