On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Puneet Kishor wrote:

>I have never quite understood these LIMIT commands... how they would
>LIMIT without running the entire query anyway. If you want to
>constrain, the constrain should really be in the WHERE clause.

They are for reducing the result set size, very helpful if the result set
has to be downloaded over a network, or kept in memory. Theres no point
sending/storing extra records if all you want is the first n records. And
if the records are generated using an index scan, then less work is
required to generate the smaller set.

--
    /"\
    / \