On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 20:58 +0200, Mark de Vries wrote:
> I must say I agree. Perhaps there is some verry good reason to delay
> actually opening the DB untill the first real access.

There is a good reason, actually.  SQLite has the ability
to read and write encrypted databases.  The hooks to do this
are there in the public-domain code, though the encryption
code itself is missing.  Nevertheless, it is a capability
of SQLite.

The encryption key is specified after the database is
opened.  But without an encryption key, SQLite has no
way of knowing if the file it opened is a valid database.
It might *look* like a text file, but that just might
be because the database is encrypted in a way that makes
it appear so.  Hence, SQLite cannot pass judgement on
a file until you actually try to do something with it.
--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>