It's quite common to create some kind of large database table or constellation
of tables that will be used for intermediate work product, and which will be
deleted when an operation, or the database session, is complete.  This kind of
thing is an obvious candidate for TEMPORARY tables in SQLite, not only because
they will be reliably cleaned up, but because they can be located in RAM for
faster operation.

However, my understanding is that TEMPORARY tables are effectively in their own
database and (thus?) cannot have foreign key relationships to other databases
(in this case, the database holding the persistent data).  This seems
unfortunate since it prevents using TEMPORARY tables if you need or want the
consistency checking provided by foreign keys, and also seems unnecessary since
foreign key relationships pointing from a TEMP table to a persistent table will
never outlive the session, so the argument against allowing against foreign
keys between databases doesn't (I claim) really apply.

Am I getting the situation right?  Is there any way to allow foreign keys from
TEMP tables to persistent tables, or can this be considered a feature request?

Randall Smith
Senior Staff Engineer
Qualcomm, Inc.