> On Nov 15, 2016, at 1:46 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
> Do these people admit they're letting their phones run out of power ?

There’s nothing wrong with letting your phone run out of power, and software
should be resilient to it. I don’t think that’s the problem, though, because
mobile OS’s perform a clean shutdown when power drops below a minimum
threshold, so it’s not like pulling the plug on a desktop computer (or holding
down the power button on a laptop because the kernel froze.)

> If not, I suspect some sort of programming error somewhere.  Not necessarily
> in your own programming but sometimes in whatever database API you're using
> which eventually results in calls to the SQLite API.
> So is your software in C or C++ and calling the SQLite API directly ?

It’s possible. Our Android library is written in Java and uses some Java
wrapper library around SQLite. I don’t know the details myself.

The case I’m concerned about happens on Macs, as I said, and the developer says
he can trigger it in his app via a power failure or a forced shutdown (holding
the power button for 5 seconds.) This version of our library is one I wrote, in
Objective-C; it uses a thin Obj-C wrapper around SQLite, but it doesn’t do
anything magic, and although it started out as 3rd party code I’ve tweaked it
enough that I know it inside and out.

—Jens