Hi, John,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM, John R. Sowden
<jsow...@americansentry.net> wrote:
> First of all, I come from the dBASE/Foxpro world. There is no distinction
> between a table and a database.  I understand that with Sqlite a database
> includes tables and other items.  The scenario that I do not understand, is:
> say I have a log file with about 7 fields totaling about 80 characters per
> record.  How do I name the database and table.  Currently I say log16 for
> the year 2016.

If I may:
When you reference the SQLite DB you have a one big database file which contains
all the information: tables, indexes, data, etc.
If you look at it from the dBase/FoxPro POV, the database is the
directory where all you
tables are. However, it is just a 1 file.
A table in the SQLite DB is what it is - a table.

You can call the DB "logs.db" and inside create a table with the name "log16".
Then 1January 2017 will come and you will create a table in that DB
called "log17".

> Secondly, I have 2 "front ends" for Sqlite on my Ubuntu 16.04 computer.
> Neither one allows me to set the length of the text fields in the table
> creation process.  How does the Sqlite know how long each record should be,
> same with integers.

SQLite doesn't use that standard.
Try googling for "SQLite create table" and "SQLite affinity".

Hopefully then everything will be clearer.

Thank you.