Well, the i7 system failed again, but this time it was quite different.
And peculiar.
The system wasn't doing anything, but it should have been.  So I tried
something. It didn't matter what, because I could not get the mouse or
keyboard to work -- it was like they weren't plugged in.  Really like it,
because the caps lock light wasn't on, nor was the laser light visible in
the mouse.  Even when I changed mouse, keyboard and USB slot.  I couldn't
get in with SSH from elsewhere either.  But the computer's "I'm running"
light was on.
So I'm suspecting a partial power failure.  I don't know enough about mobos
and USB to diagnose whether the problem was on the mobo or the power supply.

Creepty.  I had to do a hard reset  to get thing going again, and it's been
running fine for a day now.

--
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb)) /* Shakespeare */