Behalf Of Will Parsons

>>>I dug up some old references to investigate this further:

>>>a) The UNIX C Shell Field Guide (1986): Ranges in the pattern
   [lower-upper] mentioned, no mention of negation of pattern.
   (Presumably even a pattern like "[1-9xyz]" wouldn't be valid
   either, though this is not explicit.)

Try this one: https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/pdfs/man71.pdf.
In 1971 there is glob, but only for ? and *.

>>>What I take away from this is that relying on [^1-9] to mean the same thing
>>>as it would in a regular expression is non-portable.  If this gets
>>>documented, then I think there should be a warning to this effect.
>>>As this thread has exhibited, supporting it can even be seen a misfeature,
>>>as it encourages confusion between glob patterns and regular expressions.

Particularly since modern users might well expect it to be Posix compliant,
which it is not.

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org