I've got a database that has acted strangely from time to time.  Or
actually a series of them, since I erase and build from scratch sometimes,
as I'm just starting this project.

Anyway, the latest is that the DB is about 11 GB.  It's pretty simple, just
2 main tables and maybe 5 indexes, no foreign keys, triggers, or much of
anything else.  Suddenly just about anything I do seems to hang.

In particular SELECT COUNT(*) FROM pos, which used to take under a second.
And I haven't make any changes to the DB since then.  This is true even if
I access a write-protected copy I made some time ago.

That includes PRAGMA integrity_check, which I started about 20 minutes
ago.  It's the first time I've tried it so I don't know how long it should
take, but copying the whole database takes under 3 minutes.

I can interrupt the process with control-C, but cannot make progress.
About the only thing that seems to be working is in sqlite3 I can ask for
the schema.

All of this is sqlite on Xubuntu Linux in python 3.5.2, and with sqlite3
command-line.  If I reboot and try again, things still hang.  There are no
journals hanging around.

My first question: how long should I expect PRAGMA integrity-check to take?

--
word of the year: *kakistocracy*