On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 13:12:22 +0100
a...@zator.com wrote:

> In respect to the Windows environment I've appreciated that the use
> of UNC convention over a network (LAN) behaves much slower that
> "mapping" the logical unit as a drive letter D, E, .. Z in the local
> host.

That's bizarre.  By mapping a network file service to a drive letter,
the user gains some convenience, and saves the OS very little: only the
work of resolving the name, and maybe some other setup.  Command
conveyance and data transfer should be identical.  In my experience, it
always was.

If you're seeing noticeable difference, I'd expect you'll find they're
either in name resolution or somewhere in the GUI.  I can't think of
any reason the underlying transport would be affected.

--jkl