Bob Friesenhahn <bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us>
Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 2:39 PM
To: SQLite mailing list
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Virtual table vs real table query performance

The case I am interested is pure read performance of a single column
element at a time given properly implemented xBestIndex and xFilter
support.  Rows are not being added/removed using sqlite.

It is possible that native tables can be faster since the
implementation is not limited to the rigid set of callback functions
provided for virtual tables to use and of course the amalgamation is
optimized by the compiler as one source module.

By tracing the callbacks, we do see that our implementation is not
invoking the callbacks more times than necessary (which was not the
case before xBestIndex and xFilter support was added).  Due to the
requirements of the implementation, POSIX reader/writer locks are used
so there is some low-contention locking overhead.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
GraphicsMagick Image Processing System<http://www.graphicsmagick.org/>