On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Hick Gunter <h...@scigames.at> wrote:

> The beauty of SQLite lies in its user extensability. If you want a
> presentation layer function in SQLite you can always write your own custom
> function, without forcing your specific needs on the community as a whole.
>
> e.g. print_money(<amount> [, <format>])
>
> with a check that <amount> is actually an integer (and not a float,
> because you should not be storing money in floats, see threads wrt rounding)
> "2.," (for values is in cents of major currency unit or whatever your
> application is using)

First, SQLite is useful outside of purely embedded cases.
When it's embedded, sure, write your own UDF, and be done with it.

But when you use SQLite to create databases to be viewed in any SQLite
client,
as is the case here, you're limited to what SQLite provides out-of-the-box.
The DB
in question are a mix of a few raw-data tables in human-unfriendly form,
and many
views which are human friendly and slice-and-dice the raw data for easy
analysis,
and such views use functions like datetime(), printf(), etc...

My integers have nothing to do with money, and the mere fact most modern
printf
or formatting libraries have thousand-separate clearly shows it's a general
purpose
and common enough need. It's no different from the currently formatting
capabilities
already provided by printf().

Sometime I wonder what's wrong with this community about the so called
"lightness"
of SQLite as justification to refuse all request for enhancements, however
small or
generally useful they are. Probably the same people who'd have cried fool
over
FKs, CTEs, JSON, row-values, table-valued functions / epo-vtable, etc...
when
SQLite was even "lighter" then, had these been proposed on list.

They all just appeared magically out of DRH's hat one day, mostly
unannounced
until the last minute when ready for the world. Substantial and complex
additions
that make SQLite even greater, albeit less light... (OMG!) and overall
we're all
grateful of course. Oh well, maybe this one little useful addition will
also come
eventually (or not, given this rant...). --DD