On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 18:01:35 -0800
J Decker <d3c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then how would you properly find the children?  Or find any
> information about their parent, the child would have to in turn be
> deleted.
>
> foreign keys are as good as pointers.

That's an interesting way to put it.  One of Codd's first papers
specifically rejected pointers as a database mechanism, and the
relational model relies entirely on values.  That there are no pointers
is by design.

I accept that SQL foreign keys require a unique referent.  I have to;
it's a fact.

I'm not convinced that's good or necessary.  I can believe it's
convenient, in the same way that "bag theory" is convenient to avoid
ensuring uniqueness in SQL.

--jkl