I want to avoid doing a two step process outside the db... I want to insert a row only if it doesn't exist already. REPLACE INTO seems to almost do the trick, however, seems like it will UPDATE if the row already exists. I want the row to be left alone if it exists.

Am trying to figure out if EXISTS could be creatively used to do this

SELECT EXISTS (SELECT id FROM t WHERE id = 5)

return 1 if 5 exists, and 0 if it doesn't exist. Is it possible to do an INSERT based on this? Or, do I have to use the logic in my application? My brain is not working, so any help on this would be appreciated.

--
Puneet Kishor