On 8 May 2017 at 14:35, Clemens Ladisch <clem...@ladisch.de> wrote:

> Rowan Worth wrote:
> > These days (the past 8 years?) at least there's the
> SQLITE_FCNTL_LAST_ERRNO
> > parameter to sqlite3_file_control() allowing the underlying cause to be
> > introspected, I just feel like it was a mistake to ever mask that cause.
>
> That error code is behind a FCNTL because it is not portable; it could
> never be a part of the public API.

Yeah, that's entirely fair. And platform-agnostic error code categories are
perhaps too much to expect, especially since this mechanism enables people
who care (eg. myself) to design said categories according to their needs
(at least if my java bindings actually covered sqlite3_file_control >_<).

Preserving the underlying cause is still possible to do portably; something
like sqlite3_os_errmsg() would provide an "opaque" string suitable for
user/developer consumption.

-Rowan