Isn't it all just obfuscation? Any root user can read your key, if not from
disk then from memory. Any normal user can't read your key, nor from disk,
nor from memory; and they can't read your db file either.

So if the adversary is someone with access to your disk image, disk
encryption trumps db encryption (unless the disk encryption is vulnerable
to known-plaintext attacks, but I guess they probably apply to sqlite too).

If the adversary is another process on the same host, encrypting the db
just adds obfuscation, which is security against lazy hackers.