Thanks Ketil I'll definitely take a look!

FYI my script is available here: https://github.com/64b2b6d12b/spotkey

Thanks,
Dan

On 2017-06-14 18:02, Ketil Froyn wrote:
Dan, I'd recommend using a tool that actually understands CSV, and
make it parse the input and create new quoted output. I haven't seen
your sed and awk, but I'm pretty sure it's easy to find some special
cases where the text includes comma, quotes or even newlines that will
break your output.

A simple stab at what I think you need would be something like this
python3 script:

$ cat quotecsv.py
#!/usr/bin/env python3
import csv
import sys

csv_in = csv.reader(sys.stdin, delimiter=',', quotechar='"')
csv_out = csv.writer(sys.stdout, delimiter=',', quotechar='"',
quoting=csv.QUOTE_ALL)
for row in csv_in:
    csv_out.writerow(row)
### That's it  ###

Then you can pipe some csv through this, here's a sample line where
fields are only quoted where necessary, and the result after piping
through the python script:

$ echo 'a,b,c,"d e","f, g"'
a,b,c,"d e","f, g"
$ echo 'a,b,c,"d e","f, g"' | ./quotecsv.py

Cheers, Ketil