On Jun 28, 2017, at 1:18 AM, Thien, Christoph <christoph.th...@bruker.com>
wrote:

> The last release with working user authentication is 3.15.2.
> Release 3.16.0 breaks user authentication.
>
> There had been a lot of changes between those releases.

The version control system that SQLite is hosted on (Fossil) has a very useful
feature for situations like this called “bisect.”  To start using it, create a
Fossil checkout of SQLite,[1] then from within that checkout directory say:

    $ fossil update version-3.15.2
    $ fossil bisect reset          # not necessary on first run-thru
    $ fossil bisect good
    $ fossil update version-3.16.0
    $ fossil bisect bad

Fossil will then check out a version roughly halfway between those two.  Build
that, try it, and then say “bisect bad” or “good” depending on whether your
auth feature works or not.  In a few minutes, you will find the specific
checkin that broke this feature.  Inspect the diffs for that checkin to see why
it broke and what the fix is.

The fix will probably be obvious from the diffs.  The only trick is finding the
particular checkin to examine, which is what bisect does for you.

[1]: https://www.sqlite.org/getthecode.html#clone

> At the moment we do not have a patch.

Given that this is an unsupported feature, I think it’s up to you to provide
that patch.

> Would be great if some developer with knowledge about internals could fix it.

The SQLite core developers aren’t likely to do that, because “unsupported”
means they don’t mess with that code any more.

Anyone else would have to have a reason to fix it, and given that it’s been
broken for 3 major versions, I think that’s a fair indicator that very few
people care about this feature working.

You’re one of the few people in the world with the motive to fix it.