> On Jul 21, 2017, at 9:48 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ​And, just to interject a politically incorrect statement, any "programmer"
> who does not use the safer interface is either __extremely__ ignorant,  or
> arrogantly stupid

I wouldn’t put it that harshly, but I agree in spirit. If you’re just learning
an API and experimenting on your own, it’s understandable that you’ll overlook
parts of it, or miss best practices, and make mistakes. If that causes crashes
or problems on your computer, well, that’s part of learning. We all do that.

But anyone writing software that runs in a web server, or that otherwise
interacts with untrusted data, has to pay attention to basic security
practices. And a fundamental one is that you don’t run code that some untrusted
person sent you. SQL statements are code. So incorporating user input into a
string and then telling a SQL database to evaluate that string is incredibly
unsafe.

Anyone who doesn’t hear alarm bells going off when they see code like “UPDATE
students set name=$FORM_DATA …” really shouldn’t be writing this sort of
software. (And it gets worse than this. A major attack on Wordpress and other
PHP apps about ten years ago, that caused a lot of damage worldwide, was
triggered by some bozo using PHP’s “eval()” function inside an XMLRPC library.)

It’s like: if you want to fool around with gears and pulleys and learn
mechanics in your home workshop, awesome! But if you’re going to build an
elevator for my 20-story apartment building, I really want you to have a solid
knowledge of structural engineering and safety practices, so you don’t do
something ignorant and get people killed.

—Jens