On 21 Jul 2017, at 6:42pm, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:

> Now to complicate that, macOS also ships a /usr/bin/sqlite3, which happens to
> be 3.16.0 in macOS 10.12, so my superficial question is, can I safely open
> *and modify* the Lightroom catalog file with the macOS version of SQLite, or
> even some newer version?

The new features introduced by SQLite since it started using file format 3 all
require explicit commands to use.  Adding columns to existing tables,
AUTOVACUUM mode, WAL journals, DESC indexes, all require you to execute a
specific SQL command to use them.

Avoid those commands and you’re fine.  You can use any other SQLite3 calls or
SQL commands without changing the database file so that Lightroom can’t use it.

Simon.