If you're on Linux read about the Reiser 4 file system.
They found they could compress the entire file system on the fly and achieve
higher performance as well. Most CPU's can compress and move data faster
because they make up the difference on the slow I/O channels to hard disks.
Might be a much easier solution

--
---
The Castles of Dereth Calendar: a tour of the art and architecture of