Sender:Jay kreibich...@kreibi.ch
Date:Friday, Aug 18, 2017 19:46
Subject:Re: [sqlite] SQLite's Results Are Expired While Schema Is Changed !

On Aug 18, 2017, at 4:04 AM, sanhua.zh sanhua...@foxmail.com wrote:  I am using
SQLite in multi-thread mode, which means that different threads using different
SQLite connection.  And now I find an issue that the results of SQLite C
interface returned is expired while the schema of database is changed.    The
following sample runs in different threads, but I force them to
runsequentially.    Thread 1:  1. Conn A: Open, PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL  Thread
2:  2.ConnB: Open, PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL  Thread 1:  3.ConnA: CREATE TABLE
sample (i INTEGER);  Thread 2:  4.ConnB: PRAGMA table_info('sample')
Firstly, both thread 1 and 2 do initialization for their own conn, which is to
read to schema into memory.  Then, Conn A creates a table with Conn A.
Finally, `PRAGMA table_info(sample)` is called in thread 2 with Conn B and it
returns nothing.  The same thing could happen if I change the step 4 to
`sqlite3_table_column_metadata` or some other interfaces.    I do know the
reason should be the expired in-memory-schema. But I find no docs about which
interface will or will not update the schema and what should I do while I call
a non-update-schema interface ? See the bottom of the sqlite3_prepare*() docs:
https://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/prepare.html And the SQLITE_SCHEMA docs:
https://www.sqlite.org/rescode.html#schema As the docs say, make sure you’re
using sqlite3_prepare*_v2() or _v3(). If a statement is prepared with these
newer versions, it will handle most expiration situations automatically by
re-preparing the statement. Generally speaking, if you do get an SQLITE_SCHEMA
error, you need to rollback the current transaction, re-prepare the statements,
and try again. -j -- Jay A. Kreibich  J A Y @ K R E I B I.C H  "Intelligence is
like underwear: it is important that you have it, but showing it to the wrong
people has the tendency to make them feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson