I was also looking to do something similar with tabular type data
that exists in my application and create "synthetic" Sqlite tables
without actually populating the Sqlite database. i.e., I just wanted to
leverage the excellent SQL select engine of Sqlite to query the transient
data that is already in RAM in my app (typically in large arrays).
This would not only save RAM, but increase the overall speed of the program.
But after looking at the Btree API, I concluded that making such a
"synthetic table" hook was far from trivial. Such logic would have to
be put between the VDBE layer and the Btree layer - a major code redesign.