Try the same test using 147 columns in each table.

1 column is rather trivial.  Even a kindergarten kid could do it in no time
using crayons and the wall.

And of course the output of INTERSECT is ordered.  It uses a sorter to perform
the intersection.  And of course the output is distinct, it uses a sorter to
perform the intersection.

In other words,

select ... a bunch of columns ...
from table1
intersect
select ... an eual number of bunch of columns ...
from table2

is equivalent to

select ... the bunch of columns ...
  from table1
 where exists (select * from table2
                where (for each column position in table 2 equals that column
position from table1, plus of course all the added stuff needed to handle
nullable columns))
group by ... the bunch of columns ...;

In other words except in very trivial cases (like having only one column that
is not nullable) it will be very difficult to write a "correct" JOIN or
correlated subquery that emulates an INTERSECT.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.