For complete tamper-proofness, you need "something" external to the system,
ie. not in the database, not in the code, and not on the server:
- if you use signatures, then those signatures should be made by a secure
signing service or device
- if you use hashes (be it a merkle tree, a blockchain, or a DAG), then
top-level hashes need to be stored (or signed) on another system (and
verification be made against those)

Note that simple signing of the individual rows would not guard you against
deletions, and if not performed by something external, the signature would
provide no date/time guarantee (ie. even if the falsifier cannot access the
private key, if the attacker can change the signing system time, the
attacker could trick the system into creating "historical" records, thus
greatly simplifying tampering).

To guard against deletions you need hashes at a higher level than the row,
a blockchain or DAG (like git) being the simplest solutions, ie. the hash
of a row is the hmac of (data of that row + hash of previous row),
storing/signing the last row hash externally then allows verifying all
previous rows.

Eric