Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> my latest trial run ended with a segmentation fault

Really a segmentation fault?  What is the error message?

> This particular program is merging two databases.  The result has reached
> 25 GB, roughly 1/3 of what I expect of the final result (over 100M rows).
> The filesystem is a RAID with 2+ TB free.

Does the /var/tmp filesystem fill up?

> Here's my prime suspect: I'm using WAL, and the journal is 543 MB.

In WAL mode, the log stores the new versions of all changed pages.
In rollback journal mode, the journal stores the old version of all
changed pages.  So when you're creating a new DB (where the old version
is empty), journal rollback mode is likely to be more efficient.

Regards,
Clemens