Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Looked at Xojo.  Not sure if the free version will stick around.  And there
is no way to save and reuse reports from one session to another in the free
version.  Creating and recreating the report every time is going to become
tedious very soon.

Continuing to use Access as a front end and connecting to my db using odbc
is definitely an option.  I wanted to move away fully from Access, so I am
going to keep that as a backup option.

I am leaning towards tcl/tk given the endorsement from both Peter and DRH.
So, I downloaded tcl/tk version 8.6.7 from magicsplat (
http://www.magicsplat.com/tcl-installer/index.html), and then ran
tclsh.exe.  In the resulting command window, I typed "sqlite3 db1 <path to
my sqlite database" as instructed on this page on the sqlite website:
https://sqlite.org/tclsqlite.html .  And all I got was "invalid command
name sqlite3".  So, I am stuck.  What did I do wrong?

BTW, the www.tcl-lang.org website has been down for at least the past 3
days it looks like.  Not sure how to interpret the reliability of a
technology whose home website is down for days at a time.

Balaji Ramanathan