On Dec 21, 2017 10:50 AM, "Simon Slavin" <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

On 21 Dec 2017, at 3:46pm, David Raymond <david.raym...@tomtom.com> wrote:

> The only potential problem with "insert or ignore into" is that it will
ignore any constraint violation for that record insert

Wait.  What ?

SQLite version 3.19.3 2017-06-27 16:48:08
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> CREATE TABLE MyTable (a INTEGER, CONSTRAINT noless CHECK (a > 10));
sqlite> INSERT INTO MyTable VALUES (15);
sqlite> INSERT INTO MyTable VALUES (5);
Error: CHECK constraint failed: noless
sqlite> INSERT OR IGNORE INTO MyTable VALUES (6);
sqlite> SELECT * FROM MyTable;
15
sqlite>

What the hell ?  Why does that work ?  Isn’t it a huge bug ?  How did you
discover it ?

My understanding is that using INSERT OR IGNORE meant that bad inserts
would fail, but they would do so silently, without triggering an error
result.

Insert 15 succeeded, 5 failed with error, 6 failed without error. Seems
exactly as advertised. What am I missing?

Note that or ignore is statement specific, not transaction specific, if I
understand correctly.