Hi J Decker,

`alias_name` can only be identifiers without qualifiers I believe. Hence
`select 1 1` isn't possible.

Changing values to arrays to allow multi values on same column be able to
co-exist is a workaround. It works perfect on orphan columns such as `select 1
a, 2 a`. Though it cannot reflect the field metadata clearly enough. In your
previous example, the value of name column is `name: ['orange', 'orange',
fruit: 'orange', color: 'orange']`. I believe this isn't valid JSON. It's
possible in JavaScript since Array is just special Object but it doesn't mean
it's easy to process.

On the other hand, formatting the result as an array of objects by default is
the right thing to do. I haven't got any intention to oppose that. What I
suggested is, the results can be array of arrays or objects nested with table
names. Postgres does that by `.query(sql, { rowMode: 'array' })`. MySQL does
that by `.query(sql, { nestTables: true })`.

Oh, I think these discussions are a bit off topic. I sent this email mostly to
request the `sqlite3_column_table_alias_name()` API. I've got the original
patch working
<https://github.com/dotnil/node-sqlite3/blob/master/deps/sqlite3.patch> in my
fork of node-sqlite3.

> [...]
>> rows with table names, the ambiguity is gone. In pure arrays:
>>
>> [ [ 1, 1, 1, 'apple', 1, 'red', 1, 1 ] ]
>>
>> With corresponding fields:
>>
>> [ { name: '1', table: '' },
>>  { name: '1', table: '' },
>>  { name: 'fruit_id', table: 'fruit' },
>>  { name: 'name', table: 'fruit' },
>>  { name: 'color_id', table: 'color' },
>>  { name: 'name', table: 'color' },
>>  { name: 'fruid_id', table: 'fruit_color' },
>>  { name: 'color_id', table: 'fruit_color' } }
>>
>> Or if the result is nested by tables:
>>
>> [ { '': { '1': 1 } },
>>  { fruit: { fruit_id: 1, name: 'apple' } },
>>  { color: { color_id: 1, name: 'red' } },
>>  { fruit_color: { fruit_id: 1, color_id: 1 } } ]
>>

> This is what it would be, other than '' would be '1' because that IS the
> column name there... it just happens that two values have the same alias
> name (bad query writing;  )
>
> When I was implementing test case I couldn't do 'select 1 as foo.id' of
> course then I'd want to be able to alias the database name it's in too....
>
> I'm not a fan of arrays; that the rows are returned is enough :)
> If you never have to column names the same all values would be flat.
> I took the overlap as an array from `mssql` node package(s).
>
> And then just decided to throw in all of the options so you can reference
> it in many ways... testing if( record.field.length ) as required; but if
> you can use USING() you only get 1 column back in a * query (those will be
> the same value sorted by sqlite nicely)
>

>> That is what I've implemented in the PR I sent to node-sqlite3.
>>
>>> On 16 Jan 2018, at 3:59 AM, J Decker <d3c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> One more example for the road...
>>>
>>> create table fruit ( fruit_id,name)
>>> create table color ( color_id,name)
>>> create table fruit_color ( fruit_id,color_id )
>>>
>>> insert into fruit (fruit_id,name) values (1,'apple'),(2,'orange'),(3,'b
>>> anana')"
>>> insert into color (color_id,name) values (1,'red'),(2,'orange'),(3,'yel
>>> low')"
>>> insert into fruit_color (fruit_id,color_id) values (1,1),(2,2),(3,3)"
>>>
>>> select 1,1,fruit.*,color.* from fruit join fruit_color on
>>> fruit_color.fruit_id=fruit.fruit_id join color on
>>> fruit_color.color_id=color.color_id
>>>
>>> (If the table has columns that overlap)
>>>
>>> [ { '1': [ 1, 1 ],
>>>   fruit: { fruit_id: 1 },
>>>   color: { color_id: 1 },
>>>   fruit_id: 1,
>>>   name: [ 'apple', 'red', fruit: 'apple', color: 'red' ],
>>>   color_id: 1 },
>>> { '1': [ 1, 1 ],
>>>   fruit: { fruit_id: 2 },
>>>   color: { color_id: 2 },
>>>   fruit_id: 2,
>>>   name: [ 'orange', 'orange', fruit: 'orange', color: 'orange' ],
>>>   color_id: 2 },
>>>   fruit: { fruit_id: 3 },
>>>   color: { color_id: 3 },
>>>   fruit_id: 3,
>>>   name: [ 'banana', 'yellow', fruit: 'banana', color: 'yellow' ],

>>> result[n].name.fruit