Apparently the CSV virtual table supports neither changes (INSERT, UPDATE,
DELETE), nor reading single column csv files.

What I really want is the functionality of .import and .output SQLite shell
commands. Maybe a better strategy would be to compile shell.c with my c
program and call the function do_meta_command(char *zLine, ShellState *p).

To those familiar with shell.c, is this a reasonable approach?