> Part of the problem is going to be that you have not defined the problem
> sufficiently for a "solution" to be proposed.  Based on your somewhat silly
> example one can deduce the following constraints:
>
> With respect to "key":
>  - this is TEXT (UTF-8 or something else)?
>  - you specify check(length(key)) == 1  do you mean:
>    - one character in some encoding (key between 0 and 0xffffffffffffffff)
>    - one byte? (ie, ord(key) between 0 and 255)
>    - something else entirely?
>    - is it contiguous?
>    - if not contiguous what are the rules defining the non-contiguousness?

​I would like a general solution. So the type of key is not defined and it
is not necessary to be contiguous.
​

>  - what is the "rotation order" based on?
>    - next arithmetic value, upper wraps to lower?
>    - next used key (by some collation order?  Which collation order?)
>    - based on "used" values?
>    - based on "entire domain"?

​Rotation is either up or down. In my example it was up. (In my perception.)

Order is just the default order.
​

> The problem and its solution is rather simple, once you define problem to
> be solved with sufficient specificity to permit a solution.
>
> Your "example" below does not provide sufficient referents to generate a
> solution that is cohesive over any problem domain other than that covered
> by the example, and your referential constraints are inadequate to ensure
> integrity for your limited example.

​I think I can solve it generally. I will look into it and share it here.
​

--
Cecil Westerhof