On 1/26/18, 12:12 PM, "sqlite-users on behalf of Keith Medcalf"
<sqlite-users-boun...@mailinglists.sqlite.org on behalf of kmedc...@dessus.com>
wrote:
> Actually, EOF (0xFF) *is* part of a text file, and is the byte in an ASCII
> byte-stream that indicates end-of-file.  In the "old days" the bytes
> following the last-byte in a stream and the end of a storage block
> (sector/cluster/track/cylinder, what have you) were padded with 0xFF so you
> knew you were past the end-of-the-file when you were reading it.

Oh, I remember the messes that existed before stream files became the norm. But
messes they were, and there's no more reason to support them in a Unicode file
than there is to support FIELDDATA format.

And if you're going to talk about the block file and paper tape era, don't
forget that FF also meant a deleted character and should be skipped without
being counted or accounted for.