On 3/28/18, lutz.reinha...@elektrobit.com <lutz.reinha...@elektrobit.com> wrote:
> Hi Sqlite Users,
>
> The goal is that an eMMC flash chip survives 15 years. And as we all know
> flash memory only supports a limited amount writes per cell before it fails.
> So if I get data to store from the user I would like to estimate before
> putting it into the database how much pages SQLite is going to write/modify
> to the flash. Is there any API, which can provide me such an estimation?
>
> I will also use a VFS shim to get the real number of written bytes
> afterwards.

There is no such API that I can think of.  I think you will need to
write a custom VFS shim to get that information.  I suspect
https://www.sqlite.org/src/file/ext/misc/vfsstat.c is sufficient for
this task.

The best way I know of to minimize flash wear is to switch to the F2FS
filesystem and use PRAGMA journal_mode=DELETE.  If you cannot use the
F2FS filesystem, then PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL with PRAGMA
synchronous=NORMAL is probably your best bet.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org