Hello everyone,

I have recently rebased Fedora's version of sqlite to 3.23.0 and saw some failures in one of the zipfile2 test cases during running self-tests (full logs [1]):

   Time: zipfile.test 193 ms
   ! zipfile2-2.0 expected: [1 {error in fread()}]
   ! zipfile2-2.0 got:      [0 {}]
   Time: zipfile2.test 12 ms
   SQLite 2018-04-02 11:04:16
736b53f57f70b23172c30880186dce7ad9baa3b74e3838cae5847cffb98falt1
   1 errors out of 187562 tests on  Linux 64-bit big-endian

After looking a bit more into the failure it seems like this piece of code (from (ext/misc/zipfile.c:zipfileReadEOCD)) is the reason for the failures:

      fseek(pFile, 0, SEEK_END);
      szFile = (i64)ftell(pFile);
      if( szFile==0 ){
        memset(pEOCD, 0, sizeof(ZipfileEOCD));
        return SQLITE_OK;
      }
      nRead = (int)(MIN(szFile, ZIPFILE_BUFFER_SIZE));
      iOff = szFile - nRead;
      rc = zipfileReadData(pFile, aRead, nRead, iOff, &pTab->base.zErrMsg);

The issue here is that `fseek` and `ftell` are being run on a FILE pointer that is created from fopen-ing a directory. On some systems, and I think this is tied to the filesystem used (I managed to reproduce the failure on a VM using XFS), this leads to the `zipfileReadData` call being skipped due to `ftell` returning 0 (returns LONG_MAX on ext4) and SQLITE_OK is returned instead of failing with error (through `zipfileReadData`).

To me it seems like calling `fseek` and `ftell` on a directory results in undefined behaviour so it would make more sense to explicitly check the type of the target before attempting it. However, I am not sure where such a change would be best to take place (which is why there is no fix attached to this).

Petr