The Query Planner should decide in the case of the MIN containing query that
the best solution is to traverse TheDate in order and return the first hit.
This may entail the creation of the necessary index if it does not exist and so
the two plans should be more or less identical.

However, if used in a subquery, the inclusion of the LIMIT may preclude
flattening whereas the MIN function version will not preclude flattening.
Since the most likely alternative to flattening is a co-routine it probably
would not make much of a difference.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.