Say Hi to Gene!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl%27s_law

So I believe what you are saying is something like this:  If I take a child and
have it count as fast as it can then it can count to X in an hour.  However, I
take the same child but have it count as fast as it can at five minute
stretches, the sum of the X's is less than it was at one go.  If I get the
child to do this at random intervals consuming juice boxes in between, the sum
of the X's is even lower, the higher the number of interruptions becomes.

In the second case the task consists of counting to ten and then drinking a
juice box.  If you get one child, then it takes time X.  Interestingly, if you
get two children, the tasks (empty juice boxes) stack up twice as fast.  There
is some overlap between the operations.  As you add more and more children it
goes faster and faster, but not quite.  Eventally all the children are drinking
the juice box as the same time and adding more children does not make things go
faster.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.