Hi,

I'm totally new to sqlite and I'd like to use it for some logging
application on an embedded
linux-based device.  Data comes from multiple (~10), similar sources at a
steady rate.
The rolling data set would be in the size of 20 GB. Such an amount of
storage would suffice to retain data from the previous week or so.

Reading the documentation https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html somehow
suggests the usage of sharding:

>Concurrency is also improved by "database sharding": using separate
database files for
> different subdomains. For example, the server might have a separate
SQLite database for each
> user, so that the server can handle hundreds or thousands of simultaneous
connections, but
> each SQLite database is only used by one connection.

In my case I would be doing sharding on the data source and/or the day of
the timestamp, so to have individual files in the size of a few hundreds MB.
This way, deleting the oldest data would be as easy as deleting the
corresponding file.

However, I did not find any reference whatsoever on sharding being
available _within_ sqlite.
Ideally, I would like to have a way of "seeing" the whole dataset with a
single query spanning all  available databases.

Would that be at all feasible? I saw the "attach database" statement which
seems closely related but whose use-case I honestly don't get.
If not, is there any state-of-the-art adapter layer that would be
performing (and hide) the underlying sharding? I don't really care about
query performance (e.g. if such a global query spanning 20 different
databases is indeed performed serially, thereby take 20 times longer), I
just need a way of hiding this detail.

I saw some reference to SPHiveDB
https://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@mailinglists.sqlite.org/msg43575.html
but the project looks stale (9 years since the last commit).

I also looked into AtomDB but it looks overly complicated for my use-case
(single, embedded server), plus it somehow requires the underlying sharding
to be totally exposed.

Any ideas?
Gerlando