The geopoly docs says that only the geopoly_overlap(P1,P2) and
geopoly_within(P1,P2) functions are optimized to use the R-tree index when used
as a WHERE test; so that means the geopoly_contains_point function is not.

This implies that, if I want to query for polygons containing a given point, I
should avoid using the obvious function geopoly_contains_point; instead I
should outset the point (by some epsilon) into a small rectangle, convert that
to a polygon, and use one of the two optimized functions. Correct?

Which prompts the question of whether I can use epsilon=0; i.e. how do the
overlap and within functions behave if one polygon is an empty (zero area)
rectangle? Will they work correctly, or always return false?

—Jens