On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Gerry Snyder wrote:

>Allan, Mark wrote:
>>

>> .... We do believe however that journaling the database for us
>> is of no benefit as our filing system is 100% fail safe and will
>> return to the last flushed state of the file on power loss.
>
>Mark,
>
>I am probably in over my head, as usual, but how do you recover if power
>goes down during the write process for an update; that is, if some of an
>update is written to the file and some of it is not?
>
>I guess it must be a journalling fs. Double journalling would indeed be
>inefficient.
>
>Maybe it might be easier to turn off the fs journalling than that in sqlite?

FLASH-based filesystems often have an append-only log behaviour, in order
to give wear levelling by spreading writes across all cells evenly.
Without this wear levelling, the FLASH device would suffer premature
failure as some cells would be written more often than others.

Info on JFFS can be found here.
http://sourceware.org/jffs2/

--
    /"\