On 11/17/18, Richard Damon <rich...@damon-family.org> wrote:
> On 11/17/18 8:37 PM, Graham Hardman wrote:
>>
>> My question then is, is it really necessary to ensure a counterclockwise
>> order when a polygon shape is entered for the first time in the table.
>>
> My guess would be that SOME operations will need the vertices in the
> right order, and others will work regardless of order.

Yeah.  For example, the geopoly_area() routine returns a negative
number if the vertexes rotate iCW instead of CCW (which is also a
convenient way to figure out of the order is incorrect).  I'm not sure
what other routines malfunction, but I suspect most of them will.

There is a new routine on trunk (and soon to be in 3.26.0) named
geopoly_ccw() that puts the vertexes in the correct CCW order if they
are not already so.  This routine was added because I discovered that
many legacy GeoJSON files do not follow the rules and put polygon
vertexes in CW order.  I suppose it can also be used after
geopoly_xform() to make sure that the vertexes are in the correct
order there, too.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org