I hate to duplicate code!  How 'bout looking at a "STRICT SQL" Pragma?
Still sounds like a lot of work, and some level of footprint bloat, but
at least work continues on a single code base.  I predict that both
branches of the proposed spilt will suffer and one or both will
eventually wither and die.

Fred